Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Ms. Gregoria Olopai, Administrative Officer III
Ascension Dr. Caller Box 10007
Saipan MP 96950
Telephone# (670) 287-1475

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally funded program that provides eligible applicants with power subsidy assistance. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program intends to ensure that families are safe, healthy, and comfortable within their homes. Our goal is to ensure that homes are energy efficient while reducing their cooling costs. Elderlies, disabled, and minor
children are a priority due to their stage and how they need a safe and healthy environment in which to live. Energy Assistance is essential to all that receive it, but more so if someone in your home is elderly, disabled or under six years old. These persons are especially at risk for life, treating an illness if their home is too hot in the summer.

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program offers public assistance to an eligible household. LIHEAP provides CUC crisis assistance when a household’s utility services are shut off or about to shut off. LIHEAP will pay the connection fee or disconnection fee to ensure the individual’s utility services are back up or deter it from being shut off. LIHEAP also provides energy bill payment assistance every month, in which the amount varies based on the income of the household. LIHEAP provides weatherization and energy-related home repairs that will save energy costs and prevent cooling costs.

For eligibility, the household has to meet the eligibility income. Therefore all documents must be provided to process the application right away.

To apply, you will need these documents:

         Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
         Must be low-income, elderly, disabled, or no income.
         Applicant should be the head of the household.
         Utility bill must have the name of the applicant. (If renting or leasing and the
electrical meter is in the property owner’s name, the applicant must obtain a written statement as the terms and conditions of the rent or lease signed and acknowledged by the house unit owner).

Documents required for processing and determining qualification for applicants are:

         Birth certificates or U.S. passport for all household members.
         Social Security Cards for all household members.
         Marriage Certificate
         CUC bill
         Proof of income:

1.       Three (3) latest check stubs (all working household members).
2.       Commissions
3.       Employment Bonuses
4.       Lease Agreement
5.       Veterans Pension
6.       Savings/Checking account
7.       Social Security Statement
8.       Child Support
9.       Alimony
10.   Monetary Inheritances
11.   Interest and dividends from saving and investment
12.   CNMI tax form 1040 if self-employed